All women who come here, who don't have legal papers don't know anyone, regardless if they have a high school diploma or even a Ph.D,they start braiding hair until they can do something else.
所有来这里的女性,既没有法律文件,也不认识任何人,不管她们是高中生还是博士,她们开始编发,直至能做其他事情。
I was a shopkeeper in Burkina Faso.
我是布基纳法索的一名店主。
I used to buy goods there and sell them to my African sisters here.
过去,我常在这里买东西,然后卖给这里的非洲姐妹们。

When I would come in their hair salons, it was always busy with clients waiting.
当我走进她们的发廊,总有很多客户等着我。
First, I didn't know how to weave.
起初,我不知道如何编发。
So, they taught me how to finish the ends.
所以,他们教我如何完成编发的收尾工作。

At the end of the day, they sometimes gave me 100 dollars to 200 U.S. dollars.
完成一天工作后, 他们有时会给我100到200美元的报酬。
I thought,"There's money to be made here."
我认为,“这里有 赚钱的机会。’
You look beautiful!
你看起来很美!

It's not easy for us. The government is asking us for licenses.
对我们来说,这并不容易,政府正向我们要经营执照。
Many women hide because they do not have the license.
许多女,人没有执照,所以躲起来。
I can see a business opportunity.
我能看到商机。

Of course, it didn't make any sense to anybody. We decided to, we walked around and mobilized with phone calls everywhere to everybody to show we could get.
当然,对于所有人而言,这毫无意义。我们决定四处游走,打电话来动员所有人,以此表明我们可以抓住商机。
We presented our case to the delegate.
我们向代表表明自己的情况。
At the end, they were like, "Oh, we don't know what is that. What is braiding? We don't know what it is."
最后,他们说,“哦,我们不知道那是什么,什么是编发?我们不知道那是什么。”

Because I mean, they really didn't have no idea
因为我的意思是,他们真的不了解编发。
We decided not to do the bill because it would have foreclosed a lot of economic opportunity for immigrants.
我们决定不支持这项法案,因为它会剥夺移民的很多经济机会。
We were trying to regulate something that we really didn't understand.
我们试图控制一些自己并不了解的东西。

The cultural, the techniques, the safety procedures that are put in, that really make this type of regulation unnecessary based on the conversations that I had at that town hall,which was tremendously enlightening and invigorating, frankly.
根据我在市政厅的谈话,文化,技术以及安全措施的投入确实使这类规定毫无必要,坦率地说,这非常具有启发性且鼓舞人心。
The only place, where we are able to actually come together as African- American Africans,is the braiding shop.
编发店是非裔美国人唯一能真正走到一起的地方。
And the only place where, as Africans, we can actually have the opportunity to educate African-Americans about our culture, aboutwho we are.
作为非洲人,编发店也是唯一个地方来让我们可以有机会让非裔美国人了解自己的文化以及我们是谁。

So, by actually doing the braiding,I feel like the braiding shop is a place where people,who come newly from Africa,is a place where they can come and get used to the American culture.
所以,通过真正的从事编发,我认为,对于刚从非洲到美国的人来说,他们可以来编发店习惯美国的文化。
So, because this place here is a place where.
因为这里是一个你需要的地方。
