视频加载中...
It's so cold outside. I know.
外面太冷了。我也觉得。
There's a big storm coming. They say it might snow.
一场大风暴就要来了。他们说可能会下雪。
Oh great! You want it to snow?
哦,太好了!你希望下雪吗?
Yeah. If it snows tomorrow, the office will close.
希望啊。如果明天下雪,办公室就会关门。
And we can stay home. And have a day off.
我们就可以呆在家里。然后放一天假。
Hi everyone. I'm Vicki and I'm British. - And I'm Jay and I'm American.
嗨,大家好。我是薇姬,我是英国人。 - 我是杰,我是美国人。
This lesson's about the first conditional — a very useful grammar structure for talking about future possibilities. We have lots of examples and a story for you — a spy story.
这节课讲的是第一条件句——一个非常有用的语法结构,用于谈论将来的可能性。我们有很多例子,还会有一个故事给你看——一个间谍故事。
You'll love it. But first we need to look at the grammar.
你会喜欢的。但首先我们需要看看语法。
In fact, you just heard an example. We use the first conditional to talk about things that might happen in the future.
事实上,你刚刚听到了一个第一条件句的例子。我们用第一条件句来谈论将来可能发生的事情。
So this means snow is not certain, but it's a real possibility tomorrow. The sentence has two parts, two clauses: one is the condition and one is the possible result.
所以这个意思是说,下雪是不确定的,但明天很有可能会下。这个句子有两个部分,两个分句:一个是条件,一个是可能的结果。
You can reverse the order of the clauses and it means the same thing. If the sentence starts with 'if', we generally use a comma.
你可以倒转分句的顺序,它的意思是相同的。如果句子以 If 开头,我们通常用逗号。
If 'if' comes in the middle of the sentence, the comma isn't necessary. Let's look at the verb forms here.
如果“If”在句子的中间,逗号就不需要了。让我们来看看这里的动词形式。
We have 'if' and then the present simple tense, and then the modal verb 'will' and the base form of the verb. Notice we use the present tense in the if clause.
我们有 if 和一般现在时,然后是情态动词 will 和动词的基本形式。注意我们在 if 从句中使用现在时。
So we're talking about the future, but we're using the present tense. In some languages you can use a future form here, but not in English.
所以我们说的是将来,但我们用的是现在时。在某些语言中你可以使用将来时,但在英语中不行。
This sentence is wrong, so don't make this mistake. So we use the present tense to talk about the future?
这个句子错了,不要再犯这个错误了。所以我们是用现在时来讨论将来?
Yes, but apart from that, the grammar is straightforward. What about questions and negatives?
是的,但除此之外,语法很简单。那么问句和否定句呢?
They're easy too. If it doesn't snow tomorrow, the office will stay open.
它们也很简单。如果明天不下雪,办公室就会继续营业。
But it might close. What will you do if we have the day off?
但它可能会关门。如果我们休息一天,你会做什么?
I won't do any work. I'll have a pajama day.
我什么工作都不做。我将一整天都穿睡衣。
Me too. And I'll watch Game of Thrones.
我也是。我还会看《权力的游戏》。
Attention all employees. Even if it snows tomorrow, the office will stay open.
所有员工请注意。即使明天下雪,办公室也照常营业。
Please report to work promptly. 'Will' is a modal verb, so to make a question we reverse the word order.
请准时到公司报到。Will 是一个情态动词,所以要问一个问题,我们得把词序颠倒过来。
Instead of 'you will', say 'will you'. Negatives are straightforward too.
要说“will you”而不是“you will”。否定句也很简单。
With normal verbs in the present simple, we use don't or doesn't. With will, it's different, because will is a modal verb.
对于一般现在时中的普通动词,我们用 don't 或 doesn't。对于 will,情况就不同了,因为 will 是情态动词。
We use the contraction won't. Will+not=won't. So that's the grammar.
我们使用缩写词 won't。语法就是这样。
Let's have the story now! Hang on, I have two questions first.
现在我们来讲故事吧!等等,我先问两个问题。
What? First one.
什么问题?第一个。
Can you say 'when' instead of 'if'? You can but the meaning is different.
你能用 when 代替 if 吗?可以,但意思会不同。
'If' means something may happen. It may snow or it may not.
if 表示某事可能发生。可能会下雪,也可能不会。
It's just a possibility and you're not certain. 'When' means something will definitely happen.
这只是一种可能性,你也不确定。When 表示某事一定会发生。
It's certain. So with 'when' you know for sure that it's going to snow.
这是肯定的。所以用 when 的话,你就知道肯定要下雪了。
Perhaps you've seen the weather radar map. So it's a certainty. Not a possibility.
也许你已经看到了天气雷达图。所以这是肯定的。而不是一种可能性。
Yes. What's the other question?
是的。另一个问题是什么?
It's about 'will'. Is 'will' the only modal verb we can use in a first conditional?
是关于 will 的。will 是唯一一个可以用于第一条件句的情态动词吗?
That's a good question. Why don't we watch the story and then we can find out?
这是个好问题。为什么我们不看看这个故事,然后我们就能找到答案了?
Good idea. Watch the story and listen for sentences with 'if'.
好主意。看下面的故事,听一听带有 if 的句子。
See how many you can spot. Oh. Mr Bond. - Yes, the name is Bond.
看看你能发现多少个。哦。邦德先生。 - 是的,我叫邦德。
Jay Bond. Nice to meet you.
杰·邦德。很高兴见到你。
Ooo. You too. And you're going to London next week?
哦,我也是。你下周要去伦敦?
Yes. It's my first international assignment. I can't wait.
是的。这是我的第一个国际任务。我都等不及了。
Excellent. And you have some cool equipment for me.
太好了。那么你为我准备了一些很酷的装备。
Well, yes. We have some useful things. - I love gadgets. Hey, look at this.
嗯,是的。我们有一些有用的东西。 - 我喜欢小型设备。嘿,看看这个。
X-ray glasses. If I put these on, I can see through walls.
X 射线眼镜。如果我戴上这个,我就能看穿墙壁。
Well… Can I?
这个嘛……我可以戴一下吗?
Oh go ahead. They're actually just normal sunglasses.
哦,你戴呀。它们其实只是普通的太阳镜。
Oh. They could be very useful if it's sunny in London.
哦。如果伦敦天气晴朗,它们会非常有用。
Sunny in London? Yes, sometimes it's sunny at this time of year.
伦敦还有晴天?有的,有时候每年的这段时间都阳光灿烂。
Well, I guess then I won't need this umbrella. Oh but it's not an umbrella, is it?
好吧,那我想我就不需要这把伞了。哦,但它不是一把伞,对吗?
Let me guess. If I press this button a knife shoots out. Well, no.
让我猜猜看。如果我按下这个按钮,一把刀就会射出来。嗯,不会。
It fires a bullet then. Err no.
那它会发射一颗*弹子**。也不会。
When you press the button, the umbrella opens. It's just an umbrella?
当你按下按钮时,伞就打开了。只是把伞而已?
Yes, but it's fully automatic. Don't you have any high-tech stuff?
是的,但它是全自动的。你没有什么高科技的东西吗?
Like electronic gadgets. Well, this one's electrical.
比如电子产品类的。嗯,这个是电子的。
Oh wow! It's a radio transmitter! If I want to communicate with HQ, I'm going to use this.
哦,哇!是无线电发射机!如果我想和总部联系,我就会用这个。
Err. No, it's not a transmitter. Oh. Is it a bug for recording conversations?
呃。不是,它不是发射机。哦。是给对话录音的*听窃**器吗?
No, it's a plug adaptor. Huh?
不是,这是一个插头适配器。啊?
Yeah. The plugs are different in England. If you need to recharge your toothbrush, it'll come in handy.
是的。在英国,插头都不同。如果你需要给牙刷充电,它迟早会派上用场。
But I need spying stuff. Don't you have anything dangerous?
但我需要一些间谍用具。你没有什么危险物品吗?
Well, we have a couple of things that come with safety warnings. - Oh great. Show them to me.
嗯,我们有几样东西都是有安全警告的。 - 哦,太好了。给我看看。
OK, there are these tablets. They're poison, right?
好的,这些药片。它们是毒药,对吧?
If I put these in people's drinks, will they fall asleep? Or die?
如果我把这些药片放在别人的饮料里,他们会睡着吗?还是会死?
No, no, no. They're travel sickness tablets. - Huh?
不,不,不。这是晕车药。 - 哈?
It's a seven-hour flight to England, but if you take two of these, you should be all right. Just follow the instructions on the label.
去英国要飞七个小时,但如果你吃两片,应该就不会有晕机的感觉。只要按照标签上的说明吃就行了。
Oh this is no good. I'm an international spy.
哦,这可不好。我是名国际间谍。
I need gadgets — dangerous stuff. What's this?
我需要小型设备——危险的东西。这是什么?
A water bottle! Oh no, no, no.
一个水瓶!哦,不,不,不。
Don't tell me. It's a long flight.
不要告诉我。这是一次长途飞行。
If I drink this water, I won't get dehydrated. No. It's explosive.
如果我喝了这些水,我就不会脱水了。不是啊。这是爆炸物。
How many sentences with 'if' did you hear? There were eight.
你听到了个多少带 if 的句子?有八个。
Did you spot them all? Let's go though them.
你都找出来了吗?让我们仔细看看。
We have some useful things. - I love gadgets. Hey, look at this.
我们有一些有用的东西。 - 我喜欢小型设备。嘿,看看这个。
X-ray glasses. If I put these on, I can see through walls.
X 射线眼镜。如果我戴上这个,我就能看穿墙壁。
Well… First of all Jay, what's a gadget?
这个嘛……首先,杰,什么是 gadget?
A gadget is a small tool or device. And it's cleverly designed.
gadget 指的是一种小型工具或设备。而且它的设计很巧妙。
And gadgets are useful. I thought the sunglasses could help me see through walls.
小工具都很有用。我以为太阳镜能帮我透过墙看东西呢。
Yes, notice the modal verb here. Instead of 'will' Jay said 'can'.
是的,注意这里的情态动词。杰说的是 can,而不是 will。
We often say 'will' in first conditionals, but it's not the only verb we use. We can use other verbs that have a future meaning.
我们经常在第一条件句中说 will,但它不是我们使用的唯一动词。我们可以使用其他有将来意义的动词。
We saw another example. Can I?
我们来看另一个例子。我可以戴一下吗?
Oh go ahead. They're actually just normal sunglasses.
哦,你戴呀。它们其实只是普通的太阳镜。
Oh. They could be very useful if it's sunny in London.
哦。如果伦敦天气晴朗,它们会非常有用。
So 'could' has a future meaning here. It means you think it's possible.
所以 could 在这里有将来的意思。这意味着你认为这是可能的。
Exactly. First conditionals are all about future possibilities.
没错。第一条件句都是关于将来的可能性。
OK, let's see some more. Well I guess then I won't need this umbrella.
好,让我们再看一些例子。那我想我就不需要这把伞了。
Oh but it's not an umbrella, is it? Let me guess.
哦,但它不是一把伞,对吗?让我猜猜看。
If I press the button a knife shoots out. Well, no… .
如果我按下按钮,一把刀就会射出来。哦,不会……
It fires a bullet then. Err no.
那它会发射一颗*弹子**。也不会。
When you press the button, the umbrella opens. It's just an umbrella?
当你按下按钮时,伞就打开了。只是把伞而已吗?
Now, what about this example. Is it a first conditional?
现在看这个例子。它是第一条件句吗?
Sort of, but many people call it a zero conditional because it's a little different. In this sentence we can change the word 'if' for 'when' and the meaning stays the same.
算是吧,但很多人会称之为零条件句,因为它有点不一样。在这个句子中,我们可以把 if 换成 when,意思保持不变。
So it's not about a future possibility. It's about a future certainty.
所以这不是关于将来的可能性。而是关于将来的确定性。
Yes. We saw another example with 'when'.
是的。我们还看到另一个关于 when 的例子。
Every time you press the button, the umbrella opens. It always happens.
每次你按下按钮,伞就会打开。它总是发生。
We've made another video about zero conditionals, haven't we? Yes, I'll put the link here.
我们还做了一期关于零条件句的视频,对吧?是的,我会把链接放在这里。
OK, let's go back to the first conditional. Oh wow!
好,让我们回到第一条件句。哦,哇!
It's a radio transmitter! If I want to communicate with HQ, I'm going to use this.
是无线电发射机!如果我想和总部联系,我就会用这个。
Err. No, it's not a transmitter. Oh. Is it a bug for recording conversations?
呃。不是,它不是发射机。哦。是给对话录音的*听窃**器吗?
No, it's a plug adaptor. Huh?
不是,这是一个插头适配器。啊?
Yeah. The plugs are different in England. If you need to recharge your toothbrush, it'll come in handy.
是的。在英国,插头都不一样。如果你需要给牙刷充电,它迟早会派上用场。
What's HQ? HQ is an abbreviation for headquarters.
HQ 是什么?HQ 是总部的缩写。
But this is interesting. I didn't say 'will' here. I said 'going to'.
但这很有意思。我这里没说 will,我说的是 going to。
'Will' and 'going to' have very similar meanings and you could use either here. They both work.
Will 和 going to 的意思非常相似,你可以在这里随便用一个。他们都可以用。
So we can say 'will' instead of 'going to' here. Now, what about the if clause?
所以我们在这里可以说 will 而不说 going to。那么,if 从句呢?
Can we use 'will' there too? No.
我们也可以用 will 吗?不行。
We use a present tense in the if clause. Here's another example.
我们在 if 从句中使用现在时。这里还有一个例子。
We can't say 'If you will recharge your toothbrush. ' That's wrong.
我们不能说“如果你会给你的牙刷充电”。这是错误的。
What does 'come in handy' mean? It means 'to be useful. '
come in handy 是什么意思?它的意思是“有用”。
For example, 'Don't throw that old box away, it could come in handy. ' So remember the phrase 'come in handy'.
例如,“不要把那个旧盒子扔掉,它迟早会派上用场的。”所以记住短语 come in handy。
It could come in handy! Exactly.
因为这个短语迟早会派上用场!完全正确。
Let's look at some more conditionals. We have a couple of things that come with safety warnings. - Oh great.
让我们再看一些条件句。我们有几样东西是有安全警告的。 - 哦,太好了。
Show them to me. OK, there are these tablets.
给我看看。好的,这些药片。
They're poison, right? If I put these in people's drinks, will they fall asleep?
它们是毒药,对吧?如果我把这些药片放在别人的饮料里,他们会睡着吗?
Or die? No, no, no.
还是会死?不,不,不。
They're travel sickness tablets. - Huh? It's a seven-hour flight to England, but if you take two of these, you should be all right.
是晕车药。 - 哈?去英国要飞七个小时,但如果你吃两片,应该就不会有晕机的感觉。
You used a different modal verb again. You didn't say will.
你又用了一个不同的情态动词。你没说 will。
You said 'should'. Yes.
你说了 should。是的。
When we have a good reason to believe something will happen, we can say 'should'. We know that travel sickness pills are often effective, but not always.
当我们有充分的理由相信某事会发生时,我们可以说“应该”。我们知道晕车药通常很有效,但并不总是完全有效。
Exactly. So I'm not certain that you'll be OK, but I think it's very possible.
没错。所以我不确定你是不是会不晕机,但我认为这很有可能。 ~xyq~
It's a future possibility again. So in first conditionals we can use the modal verbs will, can, could and should.
这也是一种将来的可能性。所以在第一条件句中,我们可以使用情态动词 will,can,could 和 should。
Yes, and we can also say may and might. If a modal verb has a future meaning, we can use it.
是的,我们也可以说 may 和 might。如果一个情态动词有表将来的意思,我们就可以用它。
But the most common verb we use is 'will'. Now I asked a question with 'will' there.
但是我们最常用的动词是 will。现在我问了一个关于 will 的问题。
Yes. 'Will' is a modal verb, so to form a question, we change the word order.
是的。Will 是情态动词,所以如果要构成疑问句,我们需要改变词序。
And what about the negatives? We saw an example of that too.
那否定句呢?我们也看到过这样的例子。
Don't tell me. It's a long flight. If I drink this water I won't get dehydrated.
不要告诉我。这是一次长途飞行。如果我喝了这些水,我就不会脱水了。
No! It's explosive! So in the negative, we say 'won't. '
不是啊!这是爆炸物!所以在否定句中,我们说 won't。
It's the contraction of will and not. Yes, and that's it.
这是 will 和 not 的缩写。是的,就这些了。
Now you know how we form the first conditional, and you've seen lots of examples. I have a question.
现在你们知道如何构成第一条件句了,而且你们已经看到很多例子了。我有一个问题。 [eu soft]
What's the difference between the first conditional and the second conditional? It's a great question because first and second conditionals are both about future possibilities.
第一条件句和第二条件句有什么区别?这个问题很好,因为第一条件句和第二条件句都是关于将来的可能性。
First conditionals are about things we think could happen. They're real possibilities.
第一条件句是关于我们认为可能发生的事情。他们是真正的可能性。
Second conditionals are more imaginary or unreal. They're for possibilities that we think won't happen or that can't happen.
第二条件句有更多成分的虚构想象或不真实。第二条件句是关于我们认为不会发生或不可能发生的可能性。
We're making another video about them. So be sure to subscribe to our channel, so you don't miss it.
我们正在制作另一期关于第二条件句的视频。所以一定要订阅我们的频道,这样你才不会错过更新。
See you all next week everyone. Bye-bye.
大家下周见。再见。
Bye!
再见!