库克斯坦福大学演讲 (苹果ceo库克麻省理工演讲)

库克演讲斯坦福,库克斯坦福大学演讲

视频加载中...

Stanford University

斯坦福大学

Please join me and welcoming Tim Cook.

请与我一道欢迎蒂姆·库克。

Thank you, thank you.

谢谢,谢谢。

Good morning, Class of 2019!

2019届毕业生们,早上好!

Thank you, President Tessier Lavigne, for that very generous introduction.

感谢特希尔•拉维尼校长非常隆重的介绍。

I'll do my best to earn it.

我会全力以赴做好这次演讲。

Before I begin, I want to recognize everyone whose hard work made this celebration possible, including the groundskeepers, ushers, volunteers and crew.

在演讲开始之前,我想对为举办这次盛会努力工作的人们表示肯定,包括场地人员、招待员、志愿者以及全体工作人员。

Thank you.

谢谢你们。

I am deeply honored and frankly a little astonished to be invited to join you for this most meaningful of occasions.

能受到邀请参加这次意义重大的典礼,我深感荣幸同时也受宠若惊。

Graduates, this is your day.

毕业生们,今天是你们的日子。

But you didn't get here alone.

但你们可不是在孤军奋战来到这里的。

Family and friends, teachers, mentors, loved ones, and, of course, your parents, all worked together to make you possible and they share your joy today.

家庭、朋友、老师、导师、亲人,当然还有父母,是你与他们的共同努力成就了现在的你,而今,正是他们分享你喜悦之时。

Here on Father's Day, let's give the dads in particular a round of applause.

今日正值父亲节,让我们给爸爸们献上热烈的掌声。

Stanford is near to my heart, not least because I live just a mile and a half from here.

我对斯坦福十分了解,可不只是因为我家就离这里仅仅1.5英里。

Of course, if my accent hasn't given it away, for the first part of my life I had to admire this place from a distance.

当然,如果我的口音还没暴露我的家乡的话,那我要告诉你们,那时我要从遥远的地方来仰慕这所学校。

I went to school on the other side of the country, at Auburn University, in the heart of landlocked eastern Alabama.

我是去美国的那一边上的大学,奥本大学,位于阿拉巴马州内陆东部的中心地带。

You may not know this, but I was on the sailing team all four years.

或许你们不知道,我在学校帆船队呆了整整四年。

It wasn't easy.

这可不轻松。

Back then, the closest marina was a three-hour drive away.

当时离学校最近的码头得开三小时的车才能到。

For practice, most of the time we had to wait for a heavy rainstorm to flood the football field.

为了练习,我们会常常等待着一场倾盆大雨把足球场给淹了。

And tying knots is hard!

而且给绳子打结也不轻松!

Who knew?

你们知道吧?

Yet somehow, against all odds, we managed to beat Stanford every time.

可不知道为什么,我们总会克服困难,次次打败斯坦福。

We must have gotten lucky with the wind.

当时我们一定是靠着风才走运的。

Kidding aside, I know the real reason I'm here, and I don't take it lightly.

玩笑先搁一边,我知道此行的目的,而且也十分重视。

Stanford and Silicon Valley's roots are woven together.

斯坦福和硅谷同根同源。

We're part of the same ecosystem.

我们在同一个生态系统中。

It was true when Steve stood on this stage 14 years ago, it's true today, and, presumably, it'll be true for a while longer still.

乔布斯14年前站在这里的时候就情况就是如此,而如今依旧,或许以后相当长的一段时间情况会一直持续。

The past few decades have lifted us together.

过去的几十年中,我们齐头并进。

But today we gather at a moment that demands some reflection.

今天我们聚在一起,应该有所反思。

Fueled by caffeine and code, optimism and idealism, conviction and creativity, generations of Stanford graduates (and dropouts) have used technology to remake our society.

在咖啡因和代码、乐观主义和理想主义、信念与创造力的推动下,一代又一代的斯坦福人(包括肄业生)利用技术重塑了我们的社会。

But I think you would agree that, lately, the results haven't been neat or straightforward.

但我觉得大家都会同意,最近的成果并不出众,也不直观。

In just the four years that you've been here at the Farm, things feel like they have taken a sharp turn.

就在你们读大学的这四年,形式已然大变。

Crisis has tempered optimism.

危机遏制了乐观。

Consequences have challenged idealism.

结果冲击了理想。

And reality has shaken blind faith.

而盲目的信仰已被现实动摇。

And yet we are all still drawn here for good reason, big dreams live here, as do the genius and passion to make them real.

可我们依旧慕名而来,因为伟大的梦想在这里孕育,在天才与激情的催生下变为现实。

In an age of cynicism, this place still believes that the human capacity to solve problems is boundless.

在这个玩世不恭的时代,斯坦福依旧相信人类解决问题的能力是无穷尽的。

But so, it seems, is our potential to create them.

但是,似乎这些问题是我们自己制造的。

That's what I'm interested in talking about today.

这也是我今天想谈的话题。

Because if I've learned one thing, it's that technology doesn't change who we are, it magnifies who we are, the good and the bad.

因为我发现技术不会改变我们是谁,只会放大我们,放大好的一面以及坏的一面。

Our problem–in technology, in politics, wherever–are human problems. From the Garden of Eden to today, it's our humanity that got us into this mess, and it's our humanity that's going to have to get us out.

无论是技术还是政治层面,不管是什么问题,我们的问题,是人性的问题。从伊甸园时代至今,是人性让我们误入歧途,同时也将是人性让我们从中解救。

First things first, here's a plain fact.

首先,事实显而易见。

Silicon Valley is responsible for some of the most revolutionary inventions in modern history.

现代社会的最具革命性的创新,有很大一部分是出自硅谷。

From the first oscillator built in the Hewlett-Packard garage to the iPhones that I know you're holding in your hands.

从成立惠普公司的车库里诞生的第一个振荡器,到我们手中拿着的苹果手机。

Social media, shareable video, snaps and stories that connect half the people on Earth.

社交媒体平台、视频分享、快照和动态将地球上半数的人联系在了一起。

They all trace their roots to Stanford's backyard.

寻根溯源,这些成果都包含着斯坦福的影子。

But lately, it seems, this industry is becoming better known for a less noble innovation: the belief that you can claim credit without accepting responsibility.

可最近,这一产业似乎因为在创新上差强人意,而众所周知:他们似乎认为现在可以居功自傲,而不必承担责任。

We see it every day now, with every data breach, every privacy violation, every blind eye turned to hate speech, fake news poisoning our national conversation.

如今每天都在上演,在每一次数据泄露、隐私侵犯,冷眼旁观成为仇恨言论,虚假的新闻污染了国内论调。

The false promise of miracles in exchange for a single drop of your blood.

一滴血就能换取虚假的花里胡哨的承诺。

Too many seem to think that good intentions excuse away harmful outcomes.

许多人认为善意可以成为恶果的借口。

But whether you like it or not, what you build and what you create define who you are.

可不管你是否喜欢,你所构建的、创造的决定了你是谁。

It feels a bit crazy that anyone should have to say this.

似乎对任何人这么定义有点过分。

But if you've built a chaos factory, you can't dodge responsibility for the chaos.

可如果一个人开办的工厂混乱不堪,那他无法逃避,要对它负责。

Taking responsibility means having the courage to think things through.

负责意味着要有勇气把事情想清楚。

And there are few areas where this is more important than privacy.

而且没有什么领域比隐私权更为重要。

If we accept as normal and unavoidable that everything in our lives can be aggregated, sold, or even leaked in the event of a hack, then we lose so much more than data.

如果我们接受所有一切被黑客收集,贩卖,甚至是泄漏,或者说这不可避免,那我们损失的远不止数据而已。

We lose the freedom to be human.

我们将失去作为人类的自由。

Think about what's at stake.

思考一下这其中的风险。

Everything you write, everything you say, every topic of curiosity, every stray thought, every impulsive purchase, every moment of frustration or weakness, every gripe or complaint, every secret shared in confidence.

你写的每件事、说的每句话、每一个好奇的话题、以及各种想法,每一次购买的冲动、每一刻的挫败与脆弱、每一次的牢骚或抱怨,每一次自以为的秘密分享。

In a world without digital privacy, even if you have done nothing wrong other than think differently, you begin to censor yourself.

在一个没有数字隐私的时代,即使没有做错任何事,仅仅是想法不同,你都会开始审视自己。

Not entirely at first.

一开始并不是全盘审视。

Just a little, bit by bit.

仅仅是一小部分,之后一点一点变多。

To risk less, to hope less, to imagine less, to dare less, to create less, to try less, to talk less, to think less.

最终会减少冒险、减少希望、不去想象、不再大胆、不再创新、尝试变少了、交流变少了、思考也变少了。

The chilling effect of digital surveillance is profound, and it touches everything.

数字监控的负面影响是深远的,犹如冰霜,影响着一切。

What a small, unimaginative world we would end up with.

那我们最终的世界将会多么微小又无趣。

Not entirely at first.

这并非一蹴而就。

Just a little, bit by bit.

只是一点一点,循序增加。

Ironically, it's the kind of environment that would have stopped Silicon Valley before it had even gotten started.

讽刺的是,在这样的环境下,硅谷还没有发展起来,可能就已经消亡了。

We deserve better.

我们应该更好。

You deserve better.

你也应该更好。

If we believe that freedom means an environment where great ideas can take root, where they can grow and be nurtured without fear of irrational restrictions or burdens, then it's our duty to change course, because your generation ought to have the same freedom to shape the future as the generation that came before.

如果我们相信自由就是一片能让我们的伟大思想生根发芽的热土,在这片热土中,伟大思想得到发展,摆脱不合理的限制与负担而得到孕育,我们有责任改变前进的方向,因为你们这一代有同样的自由来改造未来,就像我们这一代所做的那样。

Graduates, at the very least, learn from these mistakes.

毕业生们,我们至少要从这些错误中吸取教训。

If you want to take credit, first learn to take responsibility.

若想取得赞誉,先要学会负责。

Now, a lot of you–the vast majority–won't find yourselves in tech at all.

如今,你们大多数的人都不会投入到技术领域。

That's as it should be.

这很正常。

We need your minds at work far and wide, because our challenges are great, and they can't be solved by any single industry.

我们所需要的是各位在工作中富有远见与广博的思想,因为我们的挑战十分巨大,而且也不能单靠一种产业也来解决。

No matter where you go, no matter what you do, I know you will be ambitious.

无论你走向何方,无论你从事何职,我相信你们必然胸怀大志。

You wouldn't be here today if you weren't.

若非如此,你们也不会来到这里。

Match that ambition with humility–a humility of purpose.

让雄心与一种对于目标的谦逊相得益彰。

That doesn't mean being tamer, being smaller, being less in what you do.

这可不是让你畏首畏尾,让你渺小,让你在工作中减少投入。

It's the opposite, it's about serving something greater.

恰恰相反,这正是为了服务于更伟大的事业。

The author Madeleine L'Engle wrote, "Humility is throwing oneself away in complete concentration on something or someone else." In other words, whatever you do with your life, be a builder.

作家麦德琳·兰歌曾说过,“谦逊就是将自己完全奉献给一件事或者一个人。”换言之,不管你做什么,一定要做一个建设者。

You don't have to start from scratch to build something monumental.

你大可不必一开始就想构建一些里程碑式的东西。

And, conversely, the best founders–the ones whose creations last and whose reputations grow rather than shrink with passing time–they spend most of their time building, piece by piece.

而且,事实恰好相反,那些最出色的发明人,他们的发明流传后世,声誉流芳千古,可他们大部分的时间都是一名建设者,点点滴滴完成从事的工作。

Builders are comfortable in the belief that their life's work will one day be bigger than them–bigger than any one person.

建设者们一想到自己奉献的工作将比他们自身还要伟大,将比任何一个人类还要伟大时,他们便十分欣慰。

They're mindful that its effects will span generations.

他们知道自己的事业将会影响几代人。

That's not an accident.

这并非是无足轻重的小事。

In a way, it's the whole point.

从某种程度上来讲,这才是重点。

In a few days we will mark the 50th anniversary of the riots at Stonewall.

再过几天,将是“石墙*乱动**”的五十周年纪念日。

When the patrons of the Stonewall Inn showed up that night–people of all races, gay and transgender, young and old–they had no idea what history had in store for them.

那天晚上,当石墙酒吧的老主顾光临时,这些人种各异,性取向不同,年龄不同的人们根本不知道历史为他们准备了什么。

It would have seemed foolish to dream it.

他们当时想这些,可能会觉得自己愚蠢至极。

When the door was busted open by police, it was not the knock of opportunity or the call of destiny.

当警察破门而入时,既不是偶然的检查,也不是命运的召唤。

It was just another instance of the world telling them that they ought to feel worthless for being different.

这只是一个例子,那时全世界都在说,他们应该为自己的与众不同而感到羞愧。

But the group gathered there felt something strengthen in them.

但是,聚集在那里的人群,感觉自己身上某拥有某些力量。

A conviction that they deserved something better than the shadows, and better than oblivion.

他们具有某种信念,相比活在阴影下被埋没应该得到更好的对待。

And if it wasn't going to be given, then they were going to have to build it themselves.

如果这种待遇不能被给予,那他们就会靠自己来构建,来争取。

I was 8 years old and a thousand miles away when Stonewall happened.

当“石墙事件”发生时,我只是一个8岁的男孩,距那里也有1千英里。

There were no news alerts, no way for photos to go viral, no mechanism for a kid on the Gulf Coast to hear these unlikely heroes tell their stories.

当时没有新闻,也没有照片四处传播,墨西哥湾沿岸的一个孩子没有渠道听到这些机会渺茫的英雄们讲述他们的故事。

Greenwich Village may as well have been a different planet, though I can tell you that the slurs and hatreds were the same.

格林威治村可能也是一个不同的地方,虽然我会说,仇恨和*谤诽**和其他的地方也一样没什么不同。

What I would not know, for a long time, was what I owed to a group of people I never knew in a place I'd never been.

长久以来,我竟不知道,我对从未踏足的地方的那些素不相识的人群怎样表达我的感谢。

Yet I will never stop being grateful for what they had the courage to build.

但我始终对他们勇敢的建设表达出我的感激。

Graduates, being a builder is about believing that you cannot possibly be the greatest cause on this Earth, because you aren't built to last.

毕业生们,成为一名建设者需要意识到,你不可能成为这个地球上取得最伟大成就的人,因为你不会建设到最后。

It's about making peace with the fact that you won't be there for the end of the story.

你需要接受这样的事实:故事的结尾不会有你的存在。

That brings me to my last bit of advice.

这引出了我最后的一点建议。

Fourteen years ago, Steve stood on this stage and told your predecessors: "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."

14年前,乔布斯站在这个讲台告诉你们的学长,“你们的时间是有限的,不要浪费时间,活成别人的样子。”

Here's my corollary: "Your mentors may leave you prepared, but they can't leave you ready." When Steve got sick, I had hardwired my thinking to the belief that he would get better.

这就是我的结论:“你的导师会让你们去准备,但他不可能让你们准备好。”乔布斯得病时,我觉得他一定会好起来。

I not only thought he would hold on, I was convinced, down to my core, that he'd still be guiding Apple long after I, myself, was gone.

我不但相信他会挺住,而且我内心深处坚信,他将始终领导苹果公司,即便在我退休之后。

Then, one day, he called me over to his house and told me that it wasn't going to be that way.

然后有一天,他把我叫去他的家里,告诉我事情并不是我想的那样。

Even then, I was convinced he would stay on as chairman that he'd step back from the day to day but always be there as a sounding board.

即便是那个时候我依然坚信,他会留在领导岗位上他虽渐渐地退居后方,但也以顾问身份参与公司事务。

But there was no reason to believe that I never should have thought it.

可无论如何我也不能相信,我也从未想到过。

The facts were all there.

因为一切都在。

And when he was gone, truly gone, I learned the real, visceral difference between preparation and readiness.

但,当他走了,真的走了的时候,我体会到了,准备和准备好两者的本质区别。

It was the loneliest I've ever felt in my life by an order of magnitude.

我体会到了生命中从未有过的孤独感,一种巨大数量级的孤独感。

It was one of those moments where you can be surrounded by people, yet you don't really see, hear or even feel them.

那个时刻虽然周围众人环绕,但你看不到、也听不到,甚至感觉不到他们的存在。

But I could sense their expectations.

然而我感受到了他们的期望。

When the dust settled, all I knew was that I was going to have to be the best version of myself that I could be.

当尘埃落定,我知道我必须朝着我能达到的最佳方向迈进。

I knew that if you got out of bed every morning and set your watch by what other people expect or demand, it'll drive you crazy.

如果你每天早上起床,要根据他人的期望与要求安排自己的日程,那会使你发疯的。

So what was true then is true now.

当时的真理,同样适用于当下。

Don't waste your time living someone else's life.

不要把时间浪费在学着活成别人。

Don't try to emulate the people who came before you to the exclusion of everything else, contorting into a shape that doesn't fit.

不要全身心的去模仿先辈,而无暇顾及其他,把自己限制在不合适的境地。

It takes too much mental effort–effort that should be dedicated to creating and building.

这会浪费你太多的精力,而你的精力应该放到创新与建设中去。

You'll waste precious time trying to rewire your every thought, and, in the mean time, you won't be fooling anybody.

你的宝贵时间将浪费在构思每种思想上,与此同时,除自己之外,不会有人被愚弄。

Graduates, the fact is, when your time comes, and it will, you'll never be ready.

毕业生们,你们的时代终将来临,可那时你们永远不会做好准备,这就是事实。

But you're not supposed to be.

但是,你们不该如此。

Find the hope in the unexpected.

在不确定中找寻希望。

Find the courage in the challenge.

在挑战中获得勇气。

Find your vision on the solitary road.

在孤独的道路上找到自己的方向。

Don't get distracted.

毋需迷茫。

There are too many people who want credit without responsibility.

有太多的人想要得到赞誉,却不想负起责任。

Too many who show up for the ribbon cutting without building anything worth a damn.

太多的人出现在剪彩的时刻,却没有贡献任何有价值的工作。

Be different.

要变得与众不同。

Leave something worthy.

要留下有价值的东西。

And always remember that you can't take it with you.

永远记住这是拿不走的。

You're going to have to pass it on.

你需要把它传递下去。

Thank you very much.

非常感谢。

And Congratulations to the Class of 2019!

祝2019届毕业生顺利毕业!